Everything you need to know about stainless steel hoses but were afraid to ask!
When it comes to choosing an industrial hose, it’s important to understand the options so you can make the right decision for your needs. One of the most versatile and hardy options out there is a stainless steel braided hose assembly.Occasionally referred to as a corrugated, stainless, or flexible metal hose, the braided hose is flexible in its bend radius and how varied its applications are in a wide range of industries. The inner tube is made of a stainless steel sheet that has been rolled into a tube and seam welded. Upon completion of the tube, corrugations are evenly formed along the entire length, these convolutions provide the hose with its flexibility.
A stainless steel braid is then woven tightly over the outside of the corrugated tube in single and multiple layer construction.
This braid provides the corrugated tube with its strength and pressure capabilities.
There are lots of reasons a stainless steel braided hose may be right for your needs. They’re extremely flexible, made from high-quality materials, can be assembled with almost any connection and they’re incredibly safe.
These hoses can be used within exceptionally low and extremely high temperatures, and their stainless steel construction allows them to have an excellent range of chemical compatibility, especially when compared to other rubber and PVC hose alternatives.
As the fittings are welded directly to the hose the assemblies can be much shorter than with traditional hose types. This gives you great flexibility for jobs that require working in smaller spaces. The external braid can also help to dissipate vibration in pipework
This type of hose eliminates the potential for catastrophic failures, and because of the metal construction, it’s incredibly safe and suitable in fire systems
Stainless braided hose is rated for full vacuum and high pressures, particularly in smaller diameters, and it can be assembled with just about any end connection. These end connections can either be TIG welded, soldered, or braised.
These hoses require very little maintenance, and if they are used correctly, they can last the lifetime of the machine or system they’re used on.
Stainless Steel Braided Hoses can be manufactured from combinations of SS304, SS321 and SS316/L materials. We determine which
materials is required based on the customers application. To decide this, we analyse the
- Size: the diameter of the connections in which the assembly will be installed
- Temperature: the temperature in which the hose is used will affect the assembly procedure and material fittings.
- Application: to calculate the assembly length and required flexibility.
- Media: identify all chemicals to which the assembly will be exposed, both internally and externally.
- Pressure: identify the internal pressure to which the assembly will be exposed and if the pressure is constant or there will be cycles and spikes.
- End Fittings: identify the necessary end fittings to ensure the mating connections are chosen correctly.
- Dynamics: identify the velocity at which the media will flow through the assembly.
Our Stainless braided hose and assemblies are made and tested in accordance with ISO 10380. We have multiple testing options available such as Hydro, dye penetrant testing, nitrogen gas and NATA third party.
The team at INTAFLEX are happy to help you determine whether this type of hose is right for you. Please contact us to find out more!